Keeping our homes secure is a basic necessity. Our homes are one of our biggest investments and contain almost everything we care about the most. Our families, our fur babies, and our “stuff” – electronics, furniture, pictures, mementos. We all want to feel safe and secure when we are at home. Luckily, there are some simple things you can do to help protect your home. Our qualified team of technicians at Smart Green Electrical can assist you with many of these.
We’d all like to think that living here is Geelong, the Bellarine or the Surf Coast means that our homes are more secure than most, but you can never be too careful.
Tips to keep your home more secure
- Lock up (even the windows). Sounds simple doesn’t it? Yet you would be surprised to learn many break-ins occur in an unlocked home. Whether you are leaving for 5 minutes or 5 days it is important to lock up and keep your home secure.
- Close street-facing window coverings. Criminals are always keeping an eye out for easy targets. By keeping the front curtains shut, you aren’t just improving your privacy you are keeping your home secure. You can also stop intruders from getting intel on your home as they walk past.
- Keep valuables out of sight. Don’t keep mobile devices, laptops, and car keys visible through windows or glass doors of your home. Remember to take valuables out of parked cars on your driveway (and lock them). Many people leave cars unlocked in their driveways and get robbed.
- Have a well-lit home (This is where our qualified electrician here in Geelong can help). Don’t underestimate the power of good lighting! Smart Green Electrical’s expert technicians can install motion-activated lights, low-level garden lights, stair lighting or porch lighting to keep your home secure and deter criminals.
- Get rid of the spare key. Many people still hide spare keys under flowerpots, welcome mats or even near the mailbox which are places thieves will search first. Try to hide your key in an unusual spot. Or better yet investigate using a keyless entry pad for your front door. Installing these is a breeze for our experienced electrical technicians.
- Don’t forget the garage. Many of our homes have an attached garage. Make sure the garage door is down and the adjoining door to the house is locked for added protection. Add to this another reason to lock your parked car — thieves can use the garage door opener in your un-locked parked car to open the garage and gain access to the house if you aren’t careful.
- Install an alarm or CCTV system. The Smart Green technicians in Ocean Grove can supply and install a wide range of alarm and CCTV systems to suit your specific requirements and budget. We can install a number of control options are available including remote control or monitoring from your smartphone. A good quality security system helps you to avoid break-ins, protects your home and everything in it, and can even help you pay less for home insurance.
Boost your home security
Home security systems are more sophisticated than ever. With a range of options: keyless entry, motion sensors, cameras, and even digital doorbells (so you can see whose knocking even when you aren’t home) you can rest assured you and your family will be safe and sound.
Smart Green Electrical has provided homes all over Geelong, Ocean Grove, Torquay and surrounds with a range of reliable home security options to suit all sorts of budgets and requirements.
Call us today on 0456 777 067 or contact us online for a quote. We supply, install, set up, teach you how to use it, and provide ongoing maintenance service if needed in Geelong, Surf Coast, or the Bellarine.
Relax in your home and garden, secure in the knowledge that your security system from Smart Green Electrical will alert you to any problems.